Thursday, December 3, 2015

Hanukkah Treat Boxes

Good morning!  Jessica here with a Hanukkah themed project!  Traditionally small gifts are given on each of the eight nights of Hanukkah and I thought it would be fun to create treat boxes with the Lawn Fawn pillow box die! 15.12.03 LS
To start off, I used the die to cut a box from dark blue cardstock.  Then I cut a second box from white cardstock.  I trimmed a little bit off of each side to create a sleeve for the blue box but left it flat until I was finished with all of the stamping.  The only modification needed to create the sleeve was to re-score the last flap so there was more wiggle room to get the sleeve over the blue box.  I repeated the process so that I would have eight boxes for each of the eight nights of Hanukkah!

I thought it'd be fun to make a menorah that would "pop up" from the box.  I stamped and heat-embossed the menorah and sentiment onto my white sleeve and then partially die-cut the top half of the menorah with the coordinating die.  I used a silver wink of luna pen to color in the menorah and then added a layer of clear wink of stella glitter over for extra shimmer.  I used copics to color in the candles and the flames.  I cut off some of the candles and flames so that they would coordinate correctly with each night of the holiday.  Next I die-cut a stitched circle tag from the same blue cardstock and attached a silver glitter number to the tag.  To finish the boxes I filled them with chocolate gelt (gold foil-wrapped coins), slid on the sleeve, and tied on the coordinating tag with silver and blue striped twine!  As the sleeve curves over the top of the pillow box the menorah pops up!

Obviously I used this idea for Hanukkah but it could easily be adapted for Christmas stockings, Chinese New Year's, Valentine's Day, etc.  I think they'd be really cute with a pop-up Christmas tree or a pop-up Easter Bunny!

I'm hoping my directions were clear enough to follow.  Please feel free to ask questions in the comments.  I'm also hoping to get a video of this project together soon and will include a link when it's ready!  Thanks so much for visiting today!  I'm so thankful for all your sweet comments and support!  Have a fantastic day!

-Jessica
Supplies:

6 comments:

  1. I want some gelt! :-) These are great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a cute idea!!! You're so fab, Jessica! :) I think you have a thing for silver and blue the way I have it for gold and....stuff. lol. <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is awesome! Terrific die cutting!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a sweet little treat box! Perfect for holiday giving!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a comment. For immediate questions, please email Laurel at laurelkbeard at gmail dot com. Have a super day!